Each month, Tony Uphoff, visionary CEO of Thomasnet.com, joins Cloud Wars Live for a recurring segment. “Uphoff on Industry” will explore the innovations, upheavals, and breakthroughs reshaping the the world of manufacturing and industrial markets. Join Tony and me as we discuss disruptive new trends in the digital-industrial world. Today, we talk through what the push for reshoring to the U.S. from China will mean for manufacturing tech, big data vs. big insights and more.
The Big Themes:
- According to the Association for Manufacturing Technology: In order to reshore 25% of the manufactured goods currently imported from China, US manufacturers will need to invest $400-$600 billion in manufacturing technology.
- Why isn’t “Big Data” yielding “Big Insights”? It might be because as business leaders we are still confusing causation and correlation.
- The “Streaming Wars”: Have changed the way that we all watch filmed entertainment. What can the rest of us learn from the battles between Netflix, Disney+ and HBO Max?
- These are incredibly exciting times: I think there’s a tremendous opportunity in the tech markets, and the manufacturing markets – and we are watching what’s happening in other parts of the world.
The Big Quote:
- “On Wall Street, they use the phrase, ‘Make the trend your friend’—and this is an irrefutable trend.”
- “I guarantee you, Tim Cook and the team are tracking those data elements.”